Message from Stan

Commenting on Karl's interesting posting:

Most successful systems do allow careful explorations into the currently unacknowledged realm of possibilities -- but not, as you point out, undisciplined, or unlicensed activities of this kind. Our culture today is in a parlous place, with more and more unlicensed new activities being tried out here and there. Some are being tried out as attempts to perpetuate the very economic system itself as it approaches its demise. For example, the use of fracking for natural gas, merely a filthy activity in a desert (but for a good reason! -- the need of our growth economy for energy), but now the involved corporations are trying to carry out these activities in the very places where the citizens themselves are living, thus destroying any joy in life that might be had from the growth economy. Here we have an accepted activity being tried out in unacceptable territory -- hence resulting political unrest. This proposed activity is actually not being suppressed by the political powers, presumably because they suppose that energy is more important than contented lives. And, of course, as our culture has accepted that exchange value is the only actual value, the political powers must acknowledge that those who have the most resources (the corporations) are likely to be the most 'correct' in their extensions into new cognitive territory.

STAN