Von: pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es

Datum: 06.05.2011 13:59

An: <fis@listas.unizar.es>

Betreff: [Fis]   The world of singularities, beyond language

Dear Joseph and colleagues,

In some important respect, language is only a clever means to an end.
It is a way for transmitting knowledge from an individual to another.
Following Dunbar (2010), the real issue is the mental, cognitive
mechanisms and abilities that underly language... and seemingly we are
not quite unique in that regard. The continuum of communicating and
cognizing capabilities goes downwards (or upwards)  quite smoothly:
modern Homo, archaic Homo, Homo erectus, great apes, advanced
mammals...

In other words, part of the response to the important point raised by
Karl, Rafael and others, and  continued so long, also lies in the
province of neuroscience. Neither literature, philosophy, logics, etc.
can provide the most cogent scholarly response (in our times!) without
the recent neuroscientific findings, which unfortunately have not
entered into the general scientific communication yet (as Gordana
commented, living philosophers would talk about dead neuroscientists,
and the living neuroscientists about dead philosophers). However, if I
am not too wrong, we might be close to a neural breakthrough similar to
what the genetic code represented for biology about two generations
ago.

My optimistic stance is that one of the most interesting places to
contribute to the scholarly circulation of new cognitive ideas so badly
needed might be this very list. In that regard, some parties could find
interesting my personal neuroscientific version of the problem... (see
two paragraphs of mine about that):

The NCT scheme (“Neurodynamic Central
Theory”) addresses a new way of explaining the organization of brain
information
processes (Marijuán &amp; Panetsos, 2011). It establishes the
correspondence
between neurodynamics and behavior by means of a central theory
grounded on
dynamic connectivity (conectome) and on optimality (principles of brain
economy). As the core of this theory, it is proposed the development of
an
informational "behavioral-processual engine" ingraining the
multidimensional operations of composition-decomposition of
sensorimotor
afferences and efferences with the realization of an action/perception
cycle,
producing adaptive behavior and associative learning (efficient
knowledge) as
outcomes. A number of disparate behavioral and cognitive aspects might
be
unified out from the development of this theory, including the recently
coined
brain’s “dark energy” (Raichle, 2006, 2010) and the global “workspace”
proposed
by Changeux, Dehaene, and others (Dehaene et al., 2001).
To reiterate, a new integrative
theory is badly needed, a radically whole new approach rather than the
piece-meal approach followed in most theoretizations of neuroscientific
disciplines. The ongoing neurocomputational, neuromolecular,
neuroinformatic
and neuroimaging revolutions (to name but a few of the emerging
disciplines
responsible of the enormous experimental data-accumulation taking place
in
neurosciences) have not been accompanied by any parsimonious synthetic
approach
yet. Very recent findings about the "Conectome" need to be elaborated
and generalized, both in their theoretical interpretation and in their
experimental content (Zamora-López, 2010; Sporns, 2011). The dynamic
"Conectome" has to be interpreted in terms of supersystem
configurations of an information processing engine realized by cortical
areas
and medial nuclei, along an optimization process of local/global
nature, and
following symmetry-breaking/symmetry-restoration operations that make
each
cortically stored information unique and recoverable (Collins, 1991;
Collins
&amp; Marijuan, 1997; Turvey, 2004). In the optimality aspect, the NCT
scheme
integrates those findings with principles of maximum economy in space
and time,
and with symmetry-breaking and group theory concepts for distributed
processes
that will configure a hierarchical-heterarchical scheme of information
processing, learning and adaptive behavior (Marijuán, 2001).
thanking the attention,

---Pedro

joe.bren...@bluewin.ch escribió:

-->
Dear John,

The reference you cited looks like essential reading and I have
ordered it. Thank you for calling it to our attention.

I believe, also, that the conventional view of meaning leads to
its erasure, and this exactly why a Derridean view of writing (and
speech) is required in which erasure does not mean the total loss of
meaning.

As far as signs go, the area of debate is clear. A theory of
signs (or sign-relations) is essential to the understanding of
information and questions of reality and illusion. You believe that
Peirce delivers this and I do not. The reason is that the critical
fallibility, I think, is not in our representations, about which there
should be no debate, but in taking signs (Peirce's icon and index) as
representations in the first place. Doing this leads straight to the
illusions we as realists wanted to avoid.

Thus when you write: "A proper understanding of how signs, and
thus logic, works can avoid these problems", I agree, but wish to
suggest that neither standard logics, nor Peirce's logic, also
truth-functional, grounded in language, can do the job. Something like
Lupasco's extension of logic to real processes, his "Logic of Energy"
(1951), may be required. I am looking forward to the Taborsky opus to
help develop this approach.

Best regards,

Joseph