Dear Bob, & Stan and colleagues,

Thanks a lot for the off line comment, and the willingness to share
these reflections. I quite agree with you. At the bottom of the problem
there seems to be a physicalist misconception of information that at the
time being has not been properly solved, perhaps because the biological
paradigm of information has not been integrated yet.

best wishes

---Pedro

Robert Ulanowicz escribió:
> [...]
>> biology textbook called /The Making of a Fly/ on Amazon. There were
>> 17 copies for sale, starting at $40, but two copies were priced at
>> $1.7 million. When he checked later, the price was $27 million. He
>> tried to work out what was going on
>> <http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358>. Basically, two pricing
>> algorithms had got caught in a loop, multiplying the existing price
>> by 1.3 and offering it again. Because algorithms have the logic to
>> raise the price but not the common sense to recognise the value, they
>> just kept escalating.
>>
>> *I guess it wouldn't be so funny if financial algorithms behaved in
>> the same way.*
>> Right. This was just a pricing algorithm, but the ones used in Wall
>> Street are not only determining the price, they are also executing
>> against it. The Amazon one is harmless because there is still a human
>> on the buying end saying: "That's crazy, I'm not going to spend $27
>> million on a book!" But if an algorithm were buying the book, which
>> is the case on Wall Street, the price would keep going up until it
>> reached the limit set by the system.
>>
>> *Has this ever happened?*
>> There was this thing called the Flash Crash
>> <http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/07/high-speed-trading-algorithms.html>
>>
>> on 6 May 2010, where suddenly 9 per cent of the US stock market
>> disappeared in a couple of minutes. One theory is that when one
>> algotrader executed an unusually large trade, all the high-frequency
>> algorithms tore it apart and kept selling and re-selling to each
>> other, throwing the market into chaos.
>>
>> *Some people might think you are being alarmist about the risks of
>> algorithms.*
>> I am not saying that algorithms don't have immense value. But I think
>> it's important to understand that something invisible is happening
>> all around us. I don't think it's the end of the world, but I think
>> it needs to be stated in extreme terms to make it visible.
>>
>> *How extreme could it get?*
>> In the science fiction version of this, my friend Russell Davies
>> proposed that it's 1000 years from now, there are no humans left and
>> no companies, but computer controlled algorithms are still trading on
>> a stock market that ran out of stock long ago.
>>

>>      Profile
>>
>> *Kevin Slavin* is co-founder of the New York-based game developer
>> Area/Code <http://areacodeinc.com/> (now Zynga NY). He taught urban
>> computing and design at New York University, and gave a talk, "How
>> algorithms shape our world", at the TED Global meeting in Edinburgh,
>> UK, in July. You can see it here
>> <http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_slavin_how_algorithms_shape_our_world.html>

>> Pedro C. Marijuán
>> Grupo de Bioinformación / Bioinformation Group
>> Instituto Aragonés de Ciencias de la Salud
>> Avda. Gómez Laguna, 25, Pl. 11ª
>> 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
>> Telf: 34 976 71 3526 (& 6818) Fax: 34 976 71 5554

Pedro C. Marijuán