Dear FIS colleagues,Thanks toMarcin for his well-thought reinterpretations of
the blind men parable. Time ago Iwas concerned about the reactions that the FIS
project would provoke amidstclassical information science practitioners (very
susceptible blind men type).I was invited to some conferences in the field and
could realize that ingeneral the idea of a larger info science was very well
received, say the wayengineering minded parties would respond to ongoing
unification projects in paralleltheoretical fields. For them it was quite
timely, and sensible, in line withadvancements in quantum information science,
biological info-revolution, consciousnessstudies, information society, etc.
Besides it was seen within the convergence ofnew perspectives needed for data
driven research, data mining, network science, and so on. It is quitedifficult,
however, articulating a general syllabus for information science –withouta
previous consensus in some delicate matters, so often herein discussed. Atthe
time being an interesting option could be a “central themes” core accompaniedby
a spattering of introductory topics on info disciplines (or subdisciplines).As
I said, my experience teaching info history of societies and bioinfo wasquite
successful in terms of graduate students.  But I did not venture in preparing
the centralthemes part…Some posts have already made good suggestions. The real
teaching is the "taste of the pudding", we badly need that experience.
Finally, away to think on the relationship between the “mother” info science
and the “child”recombinatory info subdisciplines would again conduce to
something similar to theblind men parable. The problem is the inevitable loop
between info conceptionsand disciplinary or philosophical stances. Let me put
it in this way: ifinformation is taken as “distinction on the adjacent”, each
of the different sciencesbecomes “an artificial ordering of distinctions,
involving regimentedperceptions, standardized actions, and logico-formal
structures and conceptualizations.”The syllabus discussion may continue more
easily through the "distinctional bridge" common to the informational and the
sceintific... I think.
Best wishes---Pedro