From: Bob Logan
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:45 PM
To: dea...@berkeley.edu
Cc: Greg Van Alstyne ; Guastello,Stephen ; Jutta (Academic) Treviranus ; Lenore
Richards ; off...@nesci.org ; Stuartkauffman ; stuart.kauff...@uvm.edu ;
yan...@nesci.org ; fis ; Stuart Kauffman
Subject: [Fis] Incomplete Nature - Completing the discussion that Terrystarted

Hi Terry - I just finished your book literally 2 minutes ago. I just had to
tell you what a brilliant and moving piece of work it is. I plan to go through
it and write a lengthy review of it just to attempt to nail down all the ideas
you developed in this amazing tome. And I agree "there is more here than
stuff".

The first thing that comes to mind is that a conference should be organized
around this book so we can discuss as a community the implication of the
challenges you have presented. This is an important piece of work the
implications of which need to be discussed.

I would be happy to help organize such a conference but I do not think I have
the resources to organize such a conference myself at OCAD University but I
will try. I can think of some organizations for which this idea would appeal.
Perhaps the complexity conferences organized by Yaneer at NESCI would be an
appropriate venue. I remember vividly a conversation that you and Stu had in
which I participated in a peripheral way at one of Yaneer's conferences a
number of years ago, which I believe was held in Boston.

Another possibility is the Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life
Sciences conference co-ordinated by Stephen Guastello

Another possibility is someone in the FIS group based primarily in Europe might
want to do something.

{If any of the groups I mentioned are interested in  a conference on Terry's
book Incomplete Nature please contact me so I can volunteer to help}

I would want to involve Stuart Kauffman in such a conference as you refer to
him frequently. I am very proud that you began Chapter 13 with the quote from
Stu that was contained in the paper I co-authored with him and others.

Perhaps there is a conference already being planned in which case I would like
to participate.

Finally, you asked that I remind you to write a short piece for the special
issue of the e-journal MDPI Information. So this is another reminder. An
excerpt from your book would do as well.

Thanks so much for writing such a great book and stimulating so much thought.

Bob

Robert K. Logan
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan