Professor Zadeh's meaning of 'efficiency increase' is cost-cutting.  It is
interesting to note that in one area this would be impossible -- the
construction of infrastructure like bridges, tunnels, etc.  This is one
area where efficiency increases would largely be impossible, and so that
function needs to be performed by pubic funds levied by taxes.  The major
opposition to that is military expenditure, which consumes most of an
'important' society's funds. The military does not reckon efficiency
increases as a benefit either.  Its function is claimed to have priority if
there is to be a society in the first place. It might be said that the
major reason for the existence of any state is military activity. So,
infrastructure upkeep is squeezed between cost-cutting by firms that would
be needed to support it, and by tax fund devouring by the military.

STAN