Joseph, Rainer -- On the subject of levels (here I think we are dealing
with a compositional hierarchy), I found Rainer's quick description to be
correct as far as it goes. Then Joseph said..

-snip-
>First, the reference to levels is important, but in my opinion more attention
needs to be paid to the applicable interactive relationships and movement
between levels.

S: We need to be careful with this "interaction' locution.  If there truly
are different levels, then their dynamical rates must be different enough
so that there could not be direct 'interaction' -- rather indirect
'transactions' between them.

>Rainer writes: " . . . because evolution on the one level does not
necessarily entail the same evolution on the other, . . ." To me, this
leaves totally
open the case that evolution on the two levels may be the same or share
important characteristics.

S: Evolution at one level may have effects upon the other level, but in
specific ways.  From the social level down to the individual, we would have
altered signals. From the individual up to the social, only an ensemble
signal from many individuals would be received at the social level. No
direct upward communication between levels.

>Further in the same paragraph we read: "...social groups consist of
individuals which are to the social field generated by that group a
singularity which is one source of this field at the same time. Hence, the
agglomeration of individuals in groups cannot be described by the
same language that is applied to describe the individuals. One is the
macro-level (sociology), the other is the micro-level (psychology).The first
is emergent with respect to the latter."

>This, to me again, is another 'argument by separation', which assumes a
singularity that is limited to the psychologically trivial separate physical
existence of the individual, while eliminating /a priori/ the possibility of
psychologically significant individual - group mutual interaction. It seems
thus to ignore the entire literature on /group/ psychology.

S: But this statement ignores the strictures on communication between
levels. It cannot be direct mutual INTERaction.  Consensus or voting must
occur among individuals in order to affect the collective. Separation is
the essence of hierarchy.  It is possible that a system might be set up so
that one individual -- the Chief -- is given special access to the social
level, but he/she must be the conduit to report the consensus.

STAN