Dear Colleagues

Pedro wrote:

Actually most of our social exchanges are supradetermined by status,
self-image, ambitions, affinity, collective identities, deception,
self-deception, attraction, etc. Rather than noise, it is life itself! Haven't
we a lot of work to be done in these essential matters?

Loet wrote:

It seems to me that one can use models from biology to study inter-human
communication; but inter-human communication is not alive. The dynamics are
non-linear, but probably very different from the dynamics among molecules.
Without the individual reflections on perceptions, the social distribution of
expectations would not be reproduced. However, one cannot reduce these
structural couplings to dependency relations, in my opinion.

Christophe wrote:

The only point I would disagree with you is the last part of the sentence, as
human behavior is much more than life itself. The constraints that humans have
to satisfy contain some specificities like valorize ego and limit anxiety. The
field of human constraints is not that well understood. Probably because it is
closely linked to these mysterious human specificities.
So we are looking at a difficult subject: understand information flow within
entities that we do not understand.

Joseph writes:
I think that the pessimism of Loet and Christophe could be helped by looking
for dynamic relations at the different levels that are grounded in basic
physics and chemistry, namely ones of changing actuality and potentiality. The
dynamics are not /the same/, but if they have some common principle, we have
something at least to work with. We do take over the biological model in its
totality, but that portion of it which applies throughout nature. The couplings
(Loet) are probably not simple dependency relations, but interactive relations
involving presence and absence, along the lines of Deacon. Christophe is right
that we do not understand completely the human entities within which
information flow occurs, but the rules (Luhn) they follow are not necessarily
totally different or mysterious. Someone with an oversized ego, A, is going to
behave accordingly until he runs, inevitably, into some resistance (someone
with a bigger ego, B). The subsequent dynamics will follow the same pattern as
at lower levels, A's usual behavior will be potentialized at the expense of
B's. Under good conditions, the A and B interaction will produce an emergent
behavior, AB, in which, however, the original 'egos' have not totally
disappeared. If this line is followed, there is not a total, but a minimum
continuity in the form of the interactions between non-life and life.
Information is in this form.

Best,

Joseph

It seems to me that one can use models from biology to study inter-human
communication; but inter-human communication is not alive. The dynamics are
non-linear, but probably very different from the dynamics among molecules.

For example, counterfactual orders can be shaped culturally among us such as
the rule of law. This cannot be reduced to biological principles (such as
survival of the fittest). The dynamics of expectations are very different from
that of historical events.

The psychological may be mediating reflexively between the cultural and the
biological, with a dynamics of itself. Without the individual reflections on
perceptions, the social distribution of expectations would not be reproduced.
However, one cannot reduce these structural couplings to dependency relations,
in my opinion.

Best,

Loet

Reference:

Niklas Luhmann's Magnificent Contribution to the Sociological Tradition: The
Emergence of the Knowledge-Based Economy as an Order of Expectations, in:
Nachtflug der Eule: 150 Stimmen zum Werk von Niklas Luhmann. Gedenkbuch zum 15.
Todestag von Niklas Luhmann (8. Dezember 1927 Lüneburg - 6. November 1998
Oerlinghausen), Magdalena Tzaneva (Ed.). Berlin: LiDi Europe Verlagshaus, 2013;
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2355880 .