From: John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za>
To: Krassimir Markov <mar...@foibg.com>, "Pedro C. Marijuan"
<pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>, "fis@listas.unizar.es" <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Subject: Re: [Fis] The Interaction Man
Date: 2013-12-08 20:41

At 12:38 AM 2013/12/05, Krassimir Markov wrote:
>Dear Pedro and FIS Colleagues,
>This discussion is full with interesting ideas.
>What I want to add is that I distinguish the concepts "communication" and
>"information interaction" which reflect similar phenomena but at different
>levels of live hierarchy.
>Communication is a process of exchanging of "signals, messages" with
>different degree of complexity (Shannon).
>Information interaction is exchanging of information models. It is specific
>only for intelligent agents but not for low levels of live mater (bio
>molecules, cells, organs).
>Main feature of intelligent agents is decision making based on information
>models.
>Information interaction is impossible without communication.
>Friendly regards
>Krassimir
I would agree with distinguishing between communication and
information interaction, but I infer exactly the opposite conclusion.
Communication, it seems to me (and also according to the setup that
is the basis for Shannon's approach) requires coding and decoding
modules, but information transmission does not; it requires only a
channel. Information needs to be decoded (given meaning) to be
communication. At least that is what I read off of Shannon's model of
communication theory.
Maybe Krassimir is not talking about Shannon type information, and
has a different model in mind. If this is the case, it would be nice
if he were to make it explicit, since most people today at least
start with Shannon's approach (or one of the two rough equivalents
discussed by Kolmogorov) as basis that at least gives the syntax of
information, with channel, coding and decoding required for a full
communications channel, but left undefined by Shannon (though recent
work has tried to fill these gaps).
Cheers,
John