Dear John,

The Koch article is worth reading as a kind of statement within the current
reductionist paradigm I believe it is necessary to get beyond. It is all the
more insidious because of Koch's research credentials, but it contains all the
'push-button' words that I have seen in his previous work, as well as that of
others. Two of these are, in this connection, 'measure' and 'integration'. That
'the mental is too radically different to arise gradually from the physical' is
a hypothesis, and begs the questions 'does it?' and 'why shouldn't it?' Despite
your comment on the utility of his measure, it seems much too scalar to
represent anything fundamental.

There is no indication of the essentiality of properties of process and
interaction in the concept of information used by Koch. It also opens the door,
as I said in my previous note, to misinterpretations supporting anti-realist
positions. I conclude that the lessons the article offers about how to think
about subjective experience are (ideologically) biased and miss the necessary
connection between subjective and objective.

In his 2010 book, Self Comes to Mind, Anthony Damasio discusses how the
consciousness is constructed as a result of what he calls master interoceptive
processes that occur between the multiple structures at the level of the brain
stem and the cerebral cortex. He first defines a "protoself" as an integrated
collection of separate neural patterns that map, moment by moment, the most
stable aspects of the organism's physical structure. The nuclei of the
homeostatic processes involved generate one of the two key components of the
self - the "feelings of knowing". The other component, derived from
non-homeostatic processes in the brain stem, generate "object saliency",
Damasio's term for the recognition of the self-as-object. The origin of the
invariance or relative invariance of a singular self has been the subject of
much discussion as we know, and a plausible basis for both the invariance and
that singularity must be established. For Damasio, this basis is neither more
or less than the organism's single body. Although this body is constantly
undergoing change, many internal parameters, both structural and chemical, vary
only within a very narrow range during the individual's lifetime. In Damasio's
view, the couplings between conscious perceptions and memories and underlying
processes at the physiological level are necessary but also sufficient to
generate the value-laden processes commonly designated as the conscious self.
No 'proto-self' is required at the levels at which Koch sees consciousness.

I had been an assiduous reader of Scientific American from high-school until
the late-eighties, when it stopped publishing original scientific work. For me,
today, it is not an acceptable reference.

Thank you for calling the article to our attention.

Best,

Joseph