Dear Hans,
Your rainbow metaphor is illuminating, but in my opinion it does
not entail assuming a subjectivist Bayesian point of view.  Quantum
mechanics, as far as I understand it, assumes the interaction between
the observer and the observed.  This implies giving up positing the
distinction between subject and object as an absolute one and
trying to avoid falling back in the "classical" paradigm, which is
grounded precisely on that distinction.  That distinction is not an
ontological one, but it arises only in our representations, such as
measurement and experiment.  The epistemological challenge is
to find a consistent ontological model accounting for superposition
and indeterminacy and that is what, in my opinion, quantum
mechanics strives to do, without falling back consciously or
inadvertently in the old paradigm—we are not determinists just
because we cannot know...                -dino

On 8 January 2014 00:52, Hans von Baeyer <henrikrit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stan asks: Would we be justified in viewing QBism the latest venture of
> [social] constructivism?
>
> WOW, I sure hope not!  While it is true that there are fads in science,
> and that the direction of research is influenced to some degree by the
> society that funds it and consumes its fruits, I think that the underlying
> methodology distinguishes socially constructed models of reality from
> scientific ones.  Social constructions use arguments that play no role in
> any account of the scientific method as it applies to the Natural Sciences
> (as opposed to the Social Sciences).
>
> Some examples: Deutsche Physik referred to the ethnicity of scientists,
> Lysenkoism adduced ideological goals; Creationism appeals to scripture;
> Feminist Science Studies consider the gender of scientists.
>
> QBism does not change any of the impressive successes of quantum
> mechanics.  It simply says that quantum mechanics is a very complex,
> abstract encoding of the experiences of generations of scientists
> interacting with atomic systems. It disenfranchises a physicist from
> knowing what an electron spin, for example, REALLY is, while celebrating
> her ability to predict correctly, albeit probabilistically, what to expect
> in the next experiment. She and her predecessors have created an abstract
> model, and validated it by appeal to experiments, without appeal to any of
> the other considerations listed above.
>
> In conversation with Joseph Brenner and others I have used the rainbow as
> a metaphor. The rainbow is a phenomenon that everyone experiences slightly
> differently, but that we all agree on. The scientific model that "explains"
> it is very complicated and highly abstract.  Is the rainbow "real"?  It
> certainly does not exist when nobody is looking.  It is, in the end, a
> personal experience.  For me the experience is enhanced considerably by my
> understanding of the scientific model of it, because it allows me to look
> for and discover details I had never noticed, but I would not presume to
> say I know what YOUR experience of it is.  Maybe you are thinking of Iris
> or Noah, and feeling awe or curiosity, and remarking on its (apparently)
> immense size and variable brightness.
>
> QBism suggests that we look at the world as consisting of rainbows -- an
> ensemble of complex phenomena about which we know some things, but whose
> essences we cannot capture.  The QBist says: I don't know what the world
> is.  All I know is what I experience in my interactions with the world, as
> they are illuminated and modified by what I have learned from other people,
> past and present, who have had similar experiences and encoded them in the
> succinct language of mathematics.
>
> Hans

Dino Buzzetti                                         formerly
Department of Philosophy     University of Bologna
                            currently
Fondazione per le Scienze Religiose Giovanni XXIII
​
via san Vitale, 114                 I-40125 Bologna BO
e-mail: dino.buzze...@gmail.com
           buzze...@fscire.it
web: http://web.dfc.unibo.it/buzzetti/