Dear Krassimir,

Thank you for your explanation. It does give me a better understanding of how
information (beyond Shannon) can be formalized! However, a closer look at the
formalism and its semantic does raise new questions:

From the definition you have given, it appears that information cannot be
viewed in any absolute sense but as internal representations of "external
patterns" whose meaning depends on the subject capturing/interpreting/storing
the said patterns. In this framework then, it seems that "information" cannot
be conceptualized without reference to the both "something out there" and the
"internal structures" of the receptor/cognitive system.

In other words the concept of "information" lies within some "subjective"
(albeit rational) realm. I'm sure that I'm stating the obvious for most of FIS
members but a question arised upon reading your formalism: How can we really
quantify meaningful (semantic) information beyond Shannon (that disregards
semantics) and his purely statistical framework? Or beyond Boltzmann's
entropy/Information based on micro-macro states ratios?

When we formalize i = (s, r, e, I) there is  a "meta-level" formalisation that
is only apparent since even (s,r) reflect our own (human) subjective
world-view. We could actually write (I1(s), I1(r), e, I2) where I1 and I2 are
two distinct cognitive systems and both of which lie at the OBJECT level of the
formalizing agent which is NEITHER I1 or I2. All "objective" measures (entropy,
negentropy,...) are actually totally dependant of I1 and I2 and can never be
considered as "absolute".

This leads me to a second question (sorry for the lengthy message): there are
some researchers that posit that "information" may be more fundamental than the
fundamental physical (mass, time, space, amps). This appears (and perhaps only
appears) to be at the opposite end of the above-mentioned view. Indeed, in this
framework some kind of "universal" or "absolute" notions must be accepted as
true.

One apparent way out would be to demonstrate that information somehow logically
entails the fundemantal physical entities while accepting that we are still
within a human-centered  world view. And thus no "absolute truth" (whatever
this means) is really gained. "Only" a richer more complete (subjective but
coherent) world-view .

Am I making anys sense? Any thoughts?

Best

Pridi