Stan:

1. "energy is primary being less abstract" -- How is energy detected or
measured? Something observes a distinction. From a series of distinctions,
the Observer constructs an understanding. It emerges from bit. In this way,
Information is more abstract.

2. "from some as yet incompletely defined substrate" "information implies
more than one entity (sender-receiver, object-interpreter)" --- I think
this is the key issue. The received view is that the fundamental level is
pure randomness, which explains why some want to get rid of causality
completely. Since Parmenides, at least, it has been clear that entities
require some ground in which to exist and act---a "ground of being," or in
Media Studies, a medium. Energy requires a medium, and so cannot be primary.

3. "if they are not identical, energy and information always accompany one
another"---I think one must distinguish between the view of mathematics and
physics, and the actual world. "Energy" and "Information" are alternative
mathematical formalisms and views of physicists. Whether the actual world
agrees depends on the details of one's own understandings and one's own
cosmology. Ideally, the correspondence would be perfect, but obviously this
is not the case for anyone.

Malcolm Dean
Member, Higher Cognitive Affinity Group, BRI
Research Affiliate, Human Complex Systems, UCLA

Today's Topics: