Folks,

I agree with Pedro that the meaning issue is important. After trying to give a coherent account within established information theory for a number of years (starting with "Intrinsic Information" in 1990) I came to the conclusion that information theory was not enough, and admitted that at the Biosemiotics Gathering in Tartu about ten years ago. I now believe that semiotics is the way to go to understand meaning, and that information theory alone is inadequate to the task.

Of course information theory could be extended, but I think the correct extension is semiotics. As Pedro said, we have not got agreement in many years. I think it is time to give it up and move into semiotics if we want to fully understand information. In direct opposition to Pedro's appeal to the Travellers metaphor, I think that history has shown that semiotics is distinct from information theory, and that information theory should restrict itself to the grounds that it has already accomplished. Oddly, Pedro seems to be saying that information theory includes meaning in exactly the opposite way to the way that gypsies do not historically include Travellers. So I don't get his argument.

I believe that without an explicit theory of signs, we cannot hope to get a theory of meaning from the idea of information alone. I would not be upset if I were proven wrong.

My best,
John