Hi Guy,

Yes. Clearly self-organized dissipative processes can be blocked from
completely dissipating or else autogenesis could not be possible. The key
point is this: self-organized dissipative systems like tornados, growing
snow crystals, or Benárd convection cells do not involve any dynamical
features that intrinsically block rate increase to the point of maximizing
entropy production *within the given boundary constratints.* But this
starred phrase is the critical caveat. This is because Maximum Entropy
Production (MEP) must always be defined as a function of boundary
conditions, or as you might say available dissipation paths. This is true
for both of the component self-organized dynamics constituting simple
autogenesis (i.e. reciprocal catalysis and self-assembly) considered in
isolation. But when these are coupled, as in autogenesis, each becomes a
boundary condition for the other, both facilitating and limiting MEP of the
other. For each process considered alone there is no intrinsic MEP
limiting-regulating principle at work, but for the complex there is. And
this is a dynamical constraint that IS intrinsic to the system dynamics,
not an extrinsic boundary condition. This is why I would argue that living
organisms and life in general cannot be fully described in MEP terms alone.
Living processes build constraints utilizing self-organized processes but
which are reciprocally prevented from fully dissipating. They therefore
reciprocally *regulate* entropy production rate rather than let the process
run to maximum. I would argue, for example, that life on earth has been
continually (until the last couple of centuries) sequestering energy-rich
molecules (e.g. fossil fuels, etc.) rather than helping that captured solar
radiation to more rapidly escape into space. This offers a challenge to a
theory (MEPP) that has recently been heralded as a key to explaining life.
But it does not violate the basic logic of far-from-equilibrium
thermodynamics. It is  rather a further development, that now includes a
non-linear factor: dissipative processes that collectively produce and
modify their own boundary conditions. But as with the introduction of an
such nonlinearity this can produce some quite unexpected emergent
consequences. This is what makes the dynamic that we call life so radically
different in what it can do compared to non-living dissipative dynamics.

To demonstrate that this sort of nonlinearity is not weirdly divergent from
standard theory I often use the following somewhat oversimplified and not
uncommon thermodynamic example to show how a process of increasing entropy
dissipation can be its own self-limiter.

Consider convection through a tall building with an open door on the ground
floor and an open window on an upper floor and heat convection causing
airflow in from the door and out from the window. Now additionally, imagine
that the window opens inward but only part way. So long as the convection
flow is below a certain threshold it will increase in rate thus
progressively increasing dissipation. But when it reaches a flow rate that
is strong enough to blow the window closed it stops all dissipation. Though
this is not intrinsic dynamical regulation as in autogenesis, in
combination with the mechanics of the window and the capacity of the
convection gradient to do mechanical work to alter this boundary condition
we can see that for the very reason that dissipative processes have the
capacity to do work to alter coupled systems there can be interesting
nonlinearities to even simple dissipative systems. This should not be
mysterious. but it does suggest that we may need to modify claims that life
is "merely" an entropy maximizing process.

— Terry