Hi Pedro,

Indeed, you capture a fundamental point of my work. I entirely agree with
your comment about living processes and their internal "informative"
organization. The three exceedingly simple molecular model systems (forms
of autogenesis) that I discuss toward the end of the paper were intended to
exemplify a minimal life-like unit that—because of its self-reconstituting
and self-repairing features—could both exemplify an origin of life
transition and a first simplest system exhibiting interpretive competence.
It is only because these autogenic systems respond to disruption of their
internal organizational coherence that they can be said to also interpret
aspects of their environment with respect to this. My goal in this work is
to ultimately provide a physico-chemical foundation for a scientific
biosemiotics, which is currently mostly exemplified by analogies to
human-level semiotic categories.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and your mediation of these
discussions.

Sincerely, Terry