Dear colleagues,

For the measurement of interdisciplinarity, one can use, for example,
Rao-Stirling diversity which is defined as follows (Rao, 1982; Stirling,
2007):

Δ = Σij pi pj dij                                           (1)

where dij is a disparity measure between two classes i and j-the categories
are in the case below journals-and pi is the proportion of elements assigned
to each class i. As the disparity measure, we use the distances on an
aggregated journal-journal citation map (Leydesdorff, Heimeriks, & Rotolo,
in press; Leydesdorff, Rafols, & Chen, 2013).

For example, 23 publications can be retrieved as of today with the search
string "au=Marijuan P*" at WoS. The journal map is as follows:

cid:image001.gif@01D09216.E78CE210

and the Rao-Stirling diversity ("interdisciplinarity") of this set is 01282.

If I repeat the analysis with the search string "au=leydesdorff l*", I
retrieve 270 documents; Rao-Stirling diversity is 0.0805.

cid:image002.gif@01D09216.E78CE210

In other words, Leydesdorff is more prolific than Marijuan in terms of WoS
publications, but Marijuan's portfolio is more interdisciplinary than
Leydesdorff's.

One finds the relevant software at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/portfolio/index.htm

Reference:

Leydesdorff, L., Heimeriks, G., & Rotolo, D. (2015 (in press)). Journal
Portfolio Analysis for Countries, Cities, and Organizations: Maps and
Comparisons <http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.05676> . Journal of the Association
for Information Science and Technology.