Dear Howard,

Thank you for leading a very interesting discussion! Beyond my earlier
comments, I just wanted to add what I believe is a minority opinion among
the FIS group.

I believe that information possesses both epistemic and ontic features.
Many opinions have been expressed concerning the former, and they are all
well-considered. I, however, wish to put in a word concerning the latter:

>From an epistemic viewpoint, information can be considered in abstraction
from any particular material manifestation. It is possible, however, to
regard information as inhering in any physical structure or configuration
of processes *without* any reference to communication theory, e.g.,
sender, receiver, coding, alphabet, etc. For example, the structure of a
network of processes possesses a *measurable* degree of *self-referenced*
information <http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/INFOECOL.pdf>, which
can be calculated without any connections to communication. The mutual
information inhering in such a configuration is a measure of the
constraints extant in the structure (Stan Salthe) and has been termed
"enformation" by John Collier
<http://www.academia.edu/704550/Information._Causation_and_Computation>.

That having been said, Bob Logan is correct, any measurement of said
information/enformation is perforce relative according to the whims of the
one performing the measurement. This is actually a complementary
consequence of the Third Law of thermodynamics.
<http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/FISPAP.pdf>

Most look upon enformation as an adumbrated form of what they see as the
full concept of information, but it has proved a rather useful tool in
evaluating structures.

Again, thanks for the Ooomph you have imparted to us! :)

The best,
Bob U.