Dear Stanley & Loet,
    Gentlemen, when you speak of "origin" I am unsure of what *exactly* you
have in mind. Is it the "origin of the capacity for movement" that you
think about? The origin of life, itself, along with all its causal roles?
Or?
> Then, many of the living do not ‘move’. . . Plants move slowly by growth.
How could a phenomenologist view this at all?<
    I think studying *differential movement* could fall within
phenomenology, but explaining the *origination* of autonomous movement,
would not. Also, it seems (to me) a bit unreasonable to think such an
origination (origin of life) narrative would be addressed in this group. Or
do I mistake your meaning, or the group's ultimate aim? Thanks!

Maxine,
    I am unclear from your extended abstract on what exactly you aim to
accomplish in the study you present. Also, are we to read the
"Phenomenology and Life Sciences" piece as well? I read its abstract and
its mention of "coordinated dynamics" seemed to say "yes!" but I am unsure.
    The emphasis you seem to offer in "Phenomenology and Evolutionary
Biology" I find interesting. Also, your mention of "static" and "genetic"
aspects along with movement. To my mind this points to kinematics, statics,
and dynamics in a more directly mechanical sense – but which you now wish
to tie to evolutionary biology? Is that correct? I find that an interesting
line of thought.
    Also, I like Pedro's notion of a connection between dance and mate
selection. Dance then being a display behavior demonstrating an
advantageous capacity for navigating the evolutionary landscape.
    Still, I find what you present a bit "too raw" and I am not exactly
sure how I should view the material. For example jumping form
dance/movement to teeth leaves me with a big gap in joining the two. I get
the sense that you aim to close "a gap" but I am not clear on how exactly
you do so. "Where did the notion of a tool come from?" This is an important
question, but how is it precisely answered or addressed? Do you attribute
the entire genesis of "six simple machines" all to teeth?
    Lastly, I too work in this area and I am just now finishing (very rough
draft) a piece that looks at this issue. I agree that it is an overlooked
area of study. I am happy to share what I have wth you, if you might find
it of interest.