Dear Maxine,

Thank you for your response. I’m grateful for the reference you gave to
your work on music, which I will read.

I found it interesting that in responding to my question about “what do we
do when we describe something”, you pointed to the phenomenological method.
I think this amplifies my question rather than addresses it. It also raises
further questions about ‘coherent scientific discourse’ (the really
important thing here is ‘coherence’).

The attraction of ‘pointing at the method’ is that we can get coherence by
indexing the stages of the method: first we do ‘bracketing’, etc. Everyone
who’s studied Husserl, even (or particularly) at a basic level, can agree.
As simple steps to go through it perhaps isn’t controversial – until we ask
about what bracketing is, or the nature and locus of the structures of
consciousness which are revealed, or whether bracketing is possible at
all...

Husserl accepted that consciousness was intersubjective, but his
understanding of the Other in intersubjectivity was restricted to what
Eugene Fink describes as “Others as are present to me in person
(gegenwärtig anwesenden Anderen), that is to Others who stand in my
near-field, in my perceptual field” (Fink's commentary on Schutz's paper
'The problems of Transcendental intersubjectivity in Husserl') Fink goes on
to say “his analysis limits itself to explicating this Other as being
present in a body, as having a body and, to this extent, not differing much
from cats and dogs. And if having a body should serve as a sufficient
indication of a transcendental fellow-subject, then one must consequently
conclude that cats and dogs are also transcendental subjects.” That then
leads on to a lot of problems in comparing cats and dogs to humans, amongst
which are the ways that descriptions are made.

Acts of description, and acts of phenomenological reduction, occur in a
world of Others. The question is, What conception of this world-of-others
do we have, and how do different conceptions affect our description? I
think the question is about codification and abstraction. Phenomenological
reduction is a codified method shared among academics. For each academic,
it is a communication in the “world of contemporaries” – Schutz’s term for
the intersubjective relations between people who are remote from each other
but live at the same time. Academic papers, books and perhaps email lists
are the general medium. But saying to somebody in a face-to-face situation
“I feel really sad right now” is an intersubjective domain that Schutz
calls a “pure we-relation”. (Incidentally, Realist philosophers have
recently picked up on relational sociology and borrowed the term
“we-relation” with quite a different meaning – see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relational-Subject-Pierpaolo-Donati-ebook/dp/B00Y37ZK9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456523972&sr=8-1&keywords=archer+and+donati
)

The point is that descriptions are relational, and the kinds of relation
depend on the intersubjective context. Interestingly, different kinds of
description cross over different kinds of relation: to express a
description codified in the “world of contemporaries” in a pure we-relation
setting is a moment of didacticism (education is full of this!); to ask
“how do you feel?” in a pure we-relation is a moment of empathy, or maybe
therapy. In my experience asking academics to say “how do you feel” in the
context of formal discourse, if a response is forthcoming at all, it is
likely to be couched or masked in formal academic language which reveals
little authenticity about feeling. Dance, however, like music, can make a
kind of description as a pure we-relation (Schutz wrote about this in his
paper “Making music together”). This relational nature of description is, I
think, important when we think of science, discourse and academia. Darwin’s
is an interesting example of descriptions within the context of many kinds
of relation. Today’s world of online education also provides some
interesting case-studies for exploring this.

I mention all this partly because my interest in information lies in the
hope that we might find better ways of understanding and studying relations
and ecologies. Understanding description is key to this.

best wishes,

Mark

p.s. I think the link between dance/tango and information comes through the
Latin root of 'conversation': con versare - to "turn together". I think
Gordon Pask was the first to talk about this in his cybernetic
"conversation theory"; his pupil Ranulph Glanville used to talk about a lot.

On 25 February 2016 at 06:33, Maxine Sheets-Johnstone <m...@uoregon.edu>
wrote:

> Response to Mark Johnson:
>
> ?What are the conditions within which a coherent scientific discourse can
>  address the phenomenon of dance (or music)??
>

> Studies that recognize the essentially dynamic nature of movement
> can offer a "coherent scientific discourse" on movement, but not
> on dance as a formed and performed art. One may well pursue a coherent
> scientific discourse on non-art forms of dance (social dance, folk dance,
> for example)in terms of kinesiology, psychology, and even physics--all
> such studies being centered not directly on dance but on the movement
> that makes dance possible and on the people who are moving.
>
> As for music: May I refer you to a 2014 article of mine in the journal
> Mind, Music, and Language (pp. 1-12). the article originated in a keynote
> address at the first international conference on Emile Dalcroze, a
> musician.
> The title of the article is "Dalcroze and Animate Life."
>
> I suspect Maxine is right to point to Darwin's 'descriptive' process. So a
>  sub-question is:
>
>  "What do we do when we describe something?"
>
> In phenomenology, we begin by "bracketing" all assumptions and beliefs,
> and,
> in Husserl's words, turn "to the things themselves." In so doing (and in
> the common way of specifying what one is doing), we are making the familiar
> strange. We are thus not clouding our description with prejudices of any
> kind
> but hewing to what is there, sensuously present in our experience.
>
> I hope the above sketches are sufficient beginning answers your questions.
>
> Cheers,
> Maxine

Dr. Mark William Johnson
Institute of Learning and Teaching