RE Soren Brier: Meaning is a way of making ?sense? of things for the
individual in the world perceived. It is a non-mathematical existential
feeling aspect of life related to reflection past, present and future of
existence in the surrounding environment, in humans enhanced by
language, writings, pictures, music through culture.

ME: In teaching my students about my completely new theory of information,
I start by telling them not to expect to understand it first time through,
and not to worry if they don't. All cognition is recognition, and it will
inevitably take a number of repetitions for them to *recognize* aspects of
the course, and therefore to begin to cognize them. Later, when I have
derived my theory of gestalt cognition, I suggest that cognition involves
matching with something in one's internal library of gestalts i.e.
generating meaning from the information received.

In support of this, I tell the story of what happened when UFOs were first
seen. Nobody knew what they were, so they were named Unidentified Flying
Objects (UFOs), the name explicitly admitting ignorance of their nature.
Then some wit called them 'Flying Saucers', and pretty soon any one could
recognize what they had seen - "I saw a Flying Saucer in the park this
morning!", without bothering to acknowledge that in fact they were none the
wiser.

A related tale was told by Columbus. When he had arrived in the West
Indies, he slowly made friends with the local natives. After they had
learned to trust each other, he gave the chief and others a tour of his
ships. What they then said was entirely fascinating. It was to the effect
that, 'When your ships first came into our bay, WE COULD NOT SEE THEM'.

Well of course they could 'see' them. They had noticed that some UFO (=
Unidentified Floating Object) had entered their bay. But being unidentified
and unnamed, they had no idea what they were looking at. So they could not
'recognize' them. There was no recognition, and in that sense, no
cognition. Their lovely statement, 'We could not see them', describes the
situation pretty well.

I conclude these pathetic tales in agreement with Brier. Meaning is a
primary aspect of life, so any theory of human or animal communication,
i.e. information exchange, had better be able to incorporate it to be
relevant / meaningful.

--
Alex Hankey M.A. (Cantab.) PhD (M.I.T.)
Distinguished Professor of Yoga and Physical Science,