I hope the following passage I’ve written on Nagarjuna will be of use for this
discussion on the nature of self. The passage is from a manuscript I’ve just
completed on silence and postmodernism.

Nagarjuna’s thinking is deeply conversant with silence and with the use of
paradox as well. For him, contradictory things are never “either/or,” but are
always “both/and.” Refusing to choose between opposing metaphysical problems,
he would recommend responding through silence instead. For an example of his
reductive reasoning process, consider the following:

Whatever is dependently co-arisen
That is explained to be emptiness.
That, being a dependent designation,
Is itself the middle way.

Something that is not dependently arisen
Such a thing does not exist.
Therefore a nonempty thing
Does not exist.

Nagarjuna is criticizing the common paradoxical occurrence that when we
attribute abstract concepts (“something that does not dependently exist”) like
emptiness to the status of “reality” (like we do with the Platonic forms), then
they seem to be applicable to everything, while on the other hand when we
emphasize instead the individual uniqueness and particularity of any one thing
(“whatever is dependently co-arisen”), this emphasis makes it impossible to
categorize its likeness with other things. Nagarjuna’s point is that the
abstract concept of emptiness and the concrete nature of any particular empty
thing are in fact codependent. He calls this codependency “Conditioned
Arising.” His “middle way” resolves the paradox by viewing neither the abstract
idea nor the concrete thing as having a separate reality — both instead are
characterized as “‘thought constructions’ founded on experience.’ As such, they
are not absolutely real or absolutely unreal. …This middle path could thus be
adopted in understanding all forms of experience, whether they be linguistic,
social, political, moral, or religious.”

Another way of approaching an understanding of the middle way has to do with
recognizing it as constituting a resolution of the identity/difference problem.
 According to standard Buddhist doctrine the most dangerous false view possible
is the belief in a permanent, independent self (also commonly referred to as
the concept of identity). This notion of self is symptomatic of our deepest
fears, concerning things like death and the possibility of our personal
nonexistence. The concept of difference, which is the other side of the
problem, is the belief that nothing is real; it also asserts the absence of all
identities. This position would lead to the most mundane things becoming
unintelligible. Nagarjuna’s solution to this problem is his assertion that
neither identity nor difference is real. Both notions, when seen properly, are
“empty” of self-essence. They can exist only together and not separately.
Nagarjuna’s way of resolving this problem, by pointing to the interdependency
of identity and difference, is remarkably similar to the one proposed by
Merleau-Ponty many years later.

Steve Bindeman