Dear Steve,

What you have written is so supreme and beautiful!
Might I suggest a Deed-Poll application to
Un-Bind-a-man?

After reading your comments, I had to take time out and simply sit in
"Silence", and let my mind be filled with the 'energy' with which your
words had both filled it and emptied it.

And currently being with Indian friends in San Jose, I did so in front of
the apartment sacred space, which is adorned with a Buddha, a
Radha-Krishna, a Ganesha, the family Guru and other such pictures.

As regards this discussion of phenomenology, it seems to me that your
marvellous contribution stands both inside phenomenological experience AND
beyond it, and what takes human awareness to those more permanent states of
Being.

May I request Maxine who seems to me more experienced in technical
phenomenological analysis of language and expression than any of us to see
how well Steve's contribution conforms to Husserlian requirements to be
considered a valid expression within the boundaries / limitations of
phenomenology? I myself certainly do not feel adequately empowered to do so
in such company as Pedro and his Fis have arranged for us.

Further:

RE: ... silence becomes a conduit to enlightenment. One recognizes that the
use of concepts, and the use of reason to work with concepts and to help
distinguish between true and false views, and the very idea of having views
in the first place, are all highly problematic in the sense that they are
but imperfect manifestations of true reality.

ME: Amen - Omayne - Om / Aum
Is not the Role of Zen to silence the intellect so that the person becomes
open to Sartori?

May I add the following: one of the most wonderful statements of
realization in the English language can be found in the work of the 17th
century poet and essayist, Thomas Traherne, in his poem, My Spirit, which I
append in full below.

Note particularly the following sequence from successive stanzas: I have
put in bold those from stanzas 5 & 6 to emphasize that for me these
statements constitute the heart of the poem, and that I equate them with
the position of Advaita Vedanta - though Steve is more than welcome to
state how he relates them, and any other part of the poem, to the position
of Nagarjuna (or not so?).

Again, I regard these statements as the culmination of phenomenological
experience, and in that sense of the 'phenomenology of life'. In one of his
early books, Deepak Chopra quipped that life is not a material process with
an occasional spiritual experience, but rather a spiritual process with an
occasional spiritual experience.

Excerpts from 'My Spirit' by Thomas Traherne. Full poem below the quoted
sections.

1.  My Naked Simple Life was I

          That Act so strongly shined

     Upon the Earth, the Sea, the Sky,

     It was the substance of my mind,

          The sense itself was I.

              The Thought that Springs

Therefrom's itself. ............

     In its own Centre is a Sphere

     Not shut up here, but every Where.

2. ..............................

      for tis more voluble than Light

     Which can put on ten thousand forms

     Being adorned with what itself adorns.

3. ................................

And every Object in my Soul a thought

     Begot, or was; I could not tell

          Whether the things did there

              Themselves appear,

Which in my *spirit *truly seemed to dwell,

     Or whether my conforming Mind

     Were not alone even all that shined.

4.  But yet of this I was most sure

That all my Mind was wholey Everywhere

What e'er it was, twas ever wholey there;

5.  O Joy! O Wonder, and Delight!

          O Sacred Mystery!

     My Soul a Spirit infinite!

*That Being Greatest, which doth Nothing seem!*

Why, twas my All, I nothing did esteem

But that alone. A Strange Mysterious Sphere!

*6.  A Strange Extended Orb of Joy*

*          Proceeding from within,*

*     Which .......*

*     ......................,*

*          ......... did Every way*

*Dilate itself even in an instant, and*

*Like an Indivisible Centre Stand*

*At once Surrounding all Eternity*.

7.  O Wondrous Self! O Sphere of Light,

          O Sphere of Joy most fair;

     O Act, O Power infinite;

     O subtle and unbounded Air!

          O Living Orb of Sight!

Thou which within me art, yet Me! Thou Eye

And Temple of His Whole Infinity!

N.B. Please note in the last line quoted from Stanza 6, the use of the word
'*Eternity*'. The 'strange extended orb of joy' does not simply surround
'all space', nor even 'all this universe' or 'all space-time', but rather
'all Eternity' which I take to mean, 'all possible space times'. He seems
to denote (connote?) that being surrounded and within the 'strange extended
orb of joy' is a necessary precondition for our experience of apparent
individuality within the world of phenomenological experience. (Please say
if you disagree, and /or what grounds there may be for disagreement. If
none, should we send it to Daniel Dennett?!)

*                 MY SPIRIT  *

*         by Thomas Traherne*

1.  My Naked Simple Life was I

          That Act so strongly shined

     Upon the Earth, the Sea, the Sky,

     It was the substance of my mind,

          The sense itself was I.

I felt no Dross nor Matter in my Soul,

No Brims nor Borders as in a Bowl

     We see. My Essence was Capacity

              That felt all things.

              The Thought that Springs

Therefrom's itself. It has no other Wings

     To Spread abroad, nor Eyes to see,

          Nor Hands distinct to feel,

              Nor Knees to Kneel:

But being Simple like the deity

     In its own Centre is a Sphere

     Not shut up here, but every Where.

2.  It Acts not from a Centre to

          Its Object as remote,

     But present is, when it doth view,

     Being with the Being it doth note.

          Whatever it doth do,

It doth not by another Engine work,

But by itself, which in the Act doth lurk.

Its Essence is Transformed into a True

              And perfect Act.

              And so Exact

Hath God appeared in this Mysterious Fact,

     That tis all Eye, all Act, all Sight,

          And what it please can be,

              Not only see,

Or do; for tis more voluble than Light

     Which can put on ten thousand forms

     Being adorned with what itself adorns.

3.  This made me present evermore

          With whatsoe'er I saw.

     An Object, if it were before

     My Eye, was by Dame Nature's law

          Within my Soul. Her Store

Was all at once within me; all her Treasures

Were my Immediate and Internal Pleasures

Substantial Joys, which did inform my Mind.

              With all she wrought

              My soul was fraught.

And every Object in my Soul a thought

     Begot, or was; I could not tell

          Whether the things did there

              Themselves appear,

Which in my *spirit *truly seemed to dwell,

     Or whether my conforming Mind

     Were not alone even all that shined.

4.  But yet of this I was most sure

          That at the utmost length

     (So worthy was it to endure)

     My Soul could best Express its Strength.

          It was so indivisible and pure,

That all my Mind was wholey Everywhere

What e'er it was, twas ever wholey there;

The Sun ten thousand legions off:

              The utmost star,

              Though seen from far,

Was present in the Apple of my Eye.

     There was my Sight, my Life, my Sense,

          My Substance and my Mind

              My Spirit Shined

Even there, not by a Transient Influence.

     The Act was Immanent, yet there.

     The Thing remote, yet felt even here.

5.  O Joy! O Wonder, and Delight!

          O Sacred Mystery!

     My Soul a Spirit infinite!

     An Image of the Deity!

          A pure Substantial Light!

That Being Greatest, which doth Nothing seem!

Why, twas my All, I nothing did esteem

But that alone. A Strange Mysterious Sphere!

              A deep Abyss

              That sees and is

The only Proper Place, and Bower of Bliss.

     To its Creator tis so near

          In Love and Excellence

              In Life and Sense,

In Greatness Worth and Nature; And so Dear;

     In it without Hyperbole,

     The Son and Friend of God we see.

6.  A Strange Extended Orb of Joy

          Proceeding from within,

     Which did on every side convey

     Itself, and being nigh of kin,

          To God did Every way

Dilate itself even in an instant, and

Like an Indivisible Centre Stand

At once Surrounding all Eternity.

              Twas not a sphere

              Yet did appear

One infinite. Twas somewhat everywhere,

     And though it had a Power to see

          Far more, yet still it shined

              And was a Mind

Exerted for it was infinity

     Twas not a Sphere, yet twas one Power

     Invisible, and yet a Bower.

7.  O Wondrous Self! O Sphere of Light,

          O Sphere of Joy most fair;

     O Act, O Power infinite;

     O subtle and unbounded Air!

          O Living Orb of Sight!

Thou which within me art, yet Me! Thou Eye

And Temple of His Whole Infinity!

O what a World are Thou! A World within!

              All Things appear

              All Objects are

Alive in Thee! Supersubstantial, Rare,

     Above themselves, and nigh of Kin

          To those pure Things we find

              In his Great Mind

Who made the World! Though now eclipsed by Sin!

     There they are useful and Divine,

     Exalted, there they ought to Shine.

P.S. RE: And every Object in my Soul a thought

     Begot, or was;

*Question for Soren Brier*: is this not essentially

an expression of Cybersemiotics?

On 2 May 2016 at 09:03, steven bindeman <bindem...@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>> with a different emphasis. While Nagarjuna used the concept of emptiness as
>>> the foundation, Adishankara stayed within the traditional Vedic scheme
>>> where 'fullness' or completeness / wholeness is regarded as fundamental.
>>>
>>> While it is certainly true that to experience the 'self' clearly, all
>>> mental content has to allowed to settle down and fade away (one aspect of
>>> 'Chitta Vritti Nirodha', a definition of Yoga) the condition for
>>> maintaining that stably is that the subtle energy, prana (life-breath),
>>> should be enlivened fully, which is why the enlivenment (ayama) of prana
>>> i.e. pranaayama (normal spelling pranayama, in which the long 'a' is not
>>> explicitly emphasised) is a fundamental Yoga exercise, usually practised
>>> before meditation (Dhyana) practices in which the mind moves to its empty
>>> state (samadhi). As can be seen, increasing the prana (life-energy) to a
>>> state of fullness is thus an integral part of attaining a stable state of
>>> pure consciousness (samadhi).
>>>
>>> It is the fullness of the state of prana that stabilizes the mind from
>>> influences that might bring it out of samadhi. In particular, various
>>> emotions can block the flows of subtle energies (several websites explain
>>> this in detail e.g. Google on acupuncture meridians - emotions). Fullness
>>> of prana is thus considered equivalent to emotional stability, which
>>> requires balanced positive emotions and feelings.
>>>
>>> Both Nagarjuna and Adishankara are then concerned with how it is that
>>> all-that-exists emerges from the original absolute. Nagarjuna evidently
>>> shows that all things including all sentient beings have a 'dependent'
>>> existence - they do not exist in and of themselves. Adishankara on the
>>> other hand uses Vedic physics and metaphysics to trace how they emerge at
>>> various levels of perception. The essence of his argument is to show how
>>> the mental sensory apparatus came from the original source / Absolute, and
>>> thus how all objects of sensation can be traced back there.
>>>
>>> In modern terms, all things we have ever experientially encountered are
>>> quantum fields, and all quantum fields seem to have emerged from the Big
>>> Bang via the process of symmetry breaking at its source - the inflationary
>>> process. But symmetry breaking is an instability, and when one inspects the
>>> information states that that instability supports, they turn out to have a
>>> similar structure to O=======>, the one proposed in the material that was
>>> distributed.
>>>
>>> I feel that the role and significance of instabilities in the physical
>>> world, particularly life processes, has not been adequately expounded and
>>> that we may only be beginning to understand them.
>>>
>>> I hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Alex

>>> --
>>> Alex Hankey M.A. (Cantab.) PhD (M.I.T.)
>>> Distinguished Professor of Yoga and Physical Science,
>>> SVYASA, Eknath Bhavan, 19 Gavipuram Circle
>>> Mobile (India) +91 900 800 8789