Asunto:         Re: [Fis] [SPAM] Shannonian Mechanics?
Fecha:  Sat, 2 Jul 2016 11:17:02 +0200
De:     Michel Godron <migod...@wanadoo.fr>
Para:   Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>

in red

 Cordialement. M. Godron
Le 01/07/2016 à 13:59, Pedro C. Marijuan a écrit :
Dear Marcus and FIS Colleagues,

You are right in your complaint. We have been saying very similar things concerning information generation--and also in your symbolic introduction of Darwin in your scheme concerning that series of complementary questions. Sorry for being so brief but I need some extra time to re-read your initial doc in this light and the very cogent responses you have been producing, particularly to Loet's points. In my first penny of next week I will comment on those matters. Now I respond to other comments (which partially dovetail with your themes).

To Loet, fine, we think very differently. Rather than Althusser's derogatory remark, I look at Schrodinger's disclaimer in his famous "What is Life": /"...[necessaryly] some of us should venture to embark on a synthesis of facts and theories, albeit with second hand and incomplete knowledge of some of them—and at the risk of making fools of ourselves.” /Whether such kind of synthetic approaches (performed by each new scientific generation) can be successful or not today, is something that neither you nor me can foretell. At the very least, the enormous expansion of bio-info-comp disciplines in our times makes this demand more necessary than ever. No "hidden program" in my previous post but the open constatation that we have an excellent opportunity today in order to delineate those potential "universals" and "essential core" in an almost completely describable living system--bacteria.
The informatinal structure ( = "essential core" ?) of living beings _at five scales_ has been decribed in /Ecologie et évolution du monde vivant /Ed. L'Harmattan Paris/. /At the molecular scale, the link betsween information and tehrmodynamic negentropy is established. I could send some paragraphs of this book to the colleagues interested by any scale.//
At least the rudiments of such approach appear in my team's work on Proyariotic Signaling Systems and in "How the Living...".
Could you send it to me ?
Anyhow, when I referred to "principles" I was not meaning your interpretation as "origins" but to the usual way practicing scientists work on them. For instance, after more than 30 years of painful experimental, microscopy work on nervous systems, Ramon y Cajal wrote his formidable "Textura del Sistema Nervioso del Hombre y los Vertebrados", considered as the foundational opus of modern neurosceince. There he exposed the new "Doctrine of the Neuron", based on a few revolutionary principles... Mutatis mutandis, it might be an interesting case-model regarding the info science renewal commented in the previous post.

To Alex, I see the opposite. Making the "universals" species specific means that you can communicate and share gestalts far more easily within your own phylum or class, or order, than with the far distant ones. So, other mammals can approximately "read" your facial expressions and postural stance, and get your meaning, while starfish or insects will not. Don't you think so?

To Bob (offline comment), many thanks for the comprehension. I am happy that from different angles we see in common some stumbling blocks to win. Actually, one needs both kinds of criticisms, positive and negative, in order to advance a little more in this viscous terrain... but making constructive criticisms becomes a more difficult task.

Apologies if I have missed some other more brief comments. And sorry Marcus if this was sort of a disruption, but I think that your discussion topic invites quite a lot to transgress the boundaries.

Best--Pedro