Dear all,

Just a few quick comments to relate this current discussion back to
scientific communication:

1. Taking information seriously must entail taking "communicating what
we think about information" seriously - and exploring different ways
of communicating what we think.

2. When I made my videos for this discussion, all I did was add
redundancy through a richer channel of communication.

3. The high number of recent posts suggest to me that the 'comfort
zone' of the group is clearly in exchanging philosophical positions
about information using low bandwidth communication media (text).
Reflecting on how we talk to each other is less comfortable and more
difficult. However, the philosophical discussions seem go round in
circles (we have had them so often before) - why?

How would the debate look if more redundancy was added to the
communication? It would, I suggest, reveal more about the constraints
of different positions. I'm sure this could be empirically explored.

Best wishes,

Mark

On 5 November 2016 at 06:17, Emanuel Diamant <emanl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Pedro,
>
> Dear FIS colleagues,
>

> Because our current discussion (dubbed “Scientific Communication”, announced
> by Pedro at Sept. 22, 2016) has deviated from its original purpose and
> shifted to our main and most relevant point of interest “What is
> information”, I dare to remind you about my personal views on the subject:
> Information is a complex notion. Like the notion of complex numbers in
> mathematics (which are composed of a real and imaginary parts), Information
> can be seen as composed of a real and an imaginary part – Physical
> information and Semantic Information. Physical information is a
> generalization of Shannon, Fisher, Kolmogorov, Chaitin, and as such
> informations. Semantic information still does not have its recognized
> definition. My attempts to spell out its destiny could be find on my site
> http://www.vidia-mant.info or at the Research Gate.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Emanuel.

Dr. Mark William Johnson