Howard,

How about the process metaphor? I argue that one cannot move from "objects
moving according to unchanging laws" to life in any meaningful way. The
notion of life as "a configuration of processes" seems to attract some
attention, however.

Here's my latest paper on the subject:

<https://www.cbl.umces.edu/~ulan/pubs/ProcStud.pdf>

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. As for consciousness, the image of a neural coherence domain seems to
me to roughly approximate the phenomenon.