Dear John et al. Some comments below:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:47 AM, John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za> wrote:

> I think we should try to categorize and relate information concepts rather
> than trying to decide which is the “right one”. I have tried to do this by
> looking at various uses of information in science, and argue that the main
> uses show progressive containment: Kinds of Information in Scientific Use
> <http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/278/269>.
> 2011. cognition, communication, co-operation. Vol 9, No 2
> <http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/issue/view/22>
>

> There are various mathematical formulations of information as well, and I
> think the same strategy is required here. Sometimes they are equivalent,
> sometimes close to equivalent, and sometimes quite different in form and
> motivation. Work on the foundations of information science needs to make
> these relations clear. A few years back (more than a decade) a
> mathematician on a list (newsgroup) argued that there were dozens of
> different mathematical definitions of information. I thought this was a bit
> excessive, and argued with him about convergences, but he was right that
> they were mathematically different. We need to look at information theory
> structures and their models to see where they are equivalent and where (and
> if) they overlap. Different mathematical forms can have models in common,
> sometimes all of them.

The agreement among professional mathematicians is that the correct
definition of randomness as opposed to information is the Martin Loef
definition for the infinite asymptotic case, and Kolmogorov-Chaitin for the
finite case. Algorithmic probability (Solomonoff, Levin) is the theory of
optimal induction and thus provides a formal universal meaning to the value
of information. Then the general agreement is also that Bennett's logical
depth separates the concept of randomness from information structure. No
much controversy in in there on the nature of classical information as
algorithmic information. Notice that 'algorithmic information' is not just
one more definiton of information, IS the definition of mathematical
information (again, by way of defining algorithmic randomness). So adding
'algorithmic' to information is not to talk about a special case that can
then be ignored by philosophy of information.

All the above builds on (and well beyond) Shannon Entropy, which is not
even very properly discussed in philosophy of information beyond its most
basic definition (we rarely, if ever, see discussions around mutual
information, conditional information, Judea Pearl's interventionist
approach and counterfactuals, etc), let alone anything of the more advanced
areas mentioned above, or a discussion on the now well established area of
quantum information that is also comletely ignored.

This is like trying to do philosophy of cosmology discussing Gamow and
Hubble but ignoring relativity, or trying to do philosophy of language
today discussing Locke and Hume but not Chomsky, or doing philosophy of
mind discussing the findings of Ramon y Cajal and claiming that his
theories are not enough to explain the brain. It is some sort of strawman
fallacy contructing an opponent living in the 40s to claim in 2017 that it
fails at explaining everything about information. Shannon Entropy is a
counting-symbol function, with interesting applications, Shannon himself
knew it. It makes no sense to expect a counting-symbol function to tell
anything interesting about information after 60 years. I refer again to my
Entropy deceiving paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.05972
I do not blame philosophers on this one, phycisists seem to assign Shannon
Entropy some mystical power, this is why I wrote a paper proving how it
cannot be used in graph complexity as some phycists have recently suggested
(e.g. Bianconi via Barabasi). But this is the kind of discussion that we
should have having, telling phycisists not to go back to the 40s when it
comes to characterizing new objects. If Shannon Entropy fails at
characterizing sequences it will not work for other objects (graphs!).

I think the field of philosophy of information cannot get serious until
serious discussion on topics above starts to take place. Right now the
field is small and carried out by a few mathematicians and phycisists.
Philosophers are left behind because they are choosing to ignore all the
theory developed in the last 50 to 60 years. I hope this is taken
constructively. I think we philosophers need to step up, if we are not be
leading the discussion at least we should not be 50 or 60 years behind. I
have tried to to close that gap but usually I also get convenently ignored
=)

> I have argued that information originates in symmetry breaking (making a
> difference, if you like, but I see it as a dynamic process rather than
> merely as a representation) Information Originates in Symmetry Breaking
> <http://web.ncf.ca/collier/papers/infsym.pdf> (*Symmetry* 1996).

Very nice paper. I agree on symmetry breaking, I have similar ideas:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1572
(published in the journal of Natural Computing)
On how symmetric rules can produce assymetric information.

Best,

Hector Zenil
http://www.hectorzenil.net/