Dear Terrence,
Condsider the Russell paradox.
Russell set is R = { x a set | x is not a member of itself}.

If instead we define

R = { x a set | x is not a member of itself, and x is defined PRIOR TO THE
APPLICATION OF THIS  DEFINITION}

then R is not a member of itself since it occurs AFTER the definition.

The definition itself provides a definition of before and after like the mirror
in the Barber resolution.

Of course for this temporal interpretation, a new NOW comes into play every
time the definition is activated.
Activation can be done by any cognizer of the definition.
Or it can be formalized by R_{t+1} = {x| x is a set that has been defined by
time t}.
Then we could have
R_{0} = { }
R_{1} = { R_{0} } = { { } }
R_{3} = {R_{0}}, R_{1}} = {{}, {{}} }
…
For mathematical purposes the … can continue transfinitely to as high an
ordinal as one wants.

The analogy with the mirror is the cut between BEFORE and AFTER.
Note that the definition
 R = { x a set | x is not a member of itself, and x is defined PRIOR TO THE
APPLICATION OF THIS  DEFINITION}
is still self-referential.
It is the temporal unfolding of this self-reference that leads to the
temporality in the sense of successive times.

Best,
Lou Kauffman
P.S. I think this uses up my quota of responses for this week.