Dear Krassimir,

I agree with you.

In our framework, your second type (deductive) exists only at the high
DIMENSIONAL level of the brain.

When I see a three-dimensional cat, my mind adds to the 3D picture other
features (we call them dimensions), such as: I start to think that its name is
Jack, it is a feline, it is nice and tender, and so on.

The only difference from your account is that, according to our framework, we
can (leaving apart the human language, that is something more subjective)
physically quantify such higher dimensions.  And we tried to demonstrate how
such process is feasible:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11571-017-9428-2

Ciao!

> Il 17 marzo 2018 alle 17.59 Krassimir Markov <mar...@foibg.com> ha scritto:
>
>     Dear FIS Colleagues,
>
>     The Plato’s allegory about prisoners in the cave (maybe!) is one of the
> first attempts to pay attention to consciousness models [Plato, 2002, Book
> VII, p. 373]. Let remember that the best candidate for such kind of prisoner
> is the brain, including ones of all kinds of Infoses. (To avoid
> misunderstandings with concepts Subject, agent, animal, human, society,
> humanity, living creatures, etc., we use the abstract concept “INFOS” to
> denote every of them as well as all of artificial creatures which has
> features similar to the former ones [Markov et al, 2007]).
>
>     There are at least two types of models created by and in the Infos’
> consciousness - isomorphic (correspond) to the structure of input from the
> sensors (called in cognitive science “mental models” [Johnson-Laird, 1983])
> and not isomorphic (textual in any language) (called “deductive, analytic, or
> logical models” [Wittgenstein, 1922]).
>
>     Both models are very important but the second type (deductive) exists
> only at the high level and very complex organized Infoses (humans, societies,
> humanity). For deductive modeling one needs a language as a tool for
> modeling. Maybe some animals have some language possibilities but they are
> not enough for deductive modeling.
>
>     Now I shall continue with a short survey on the “mental models”.
>     In the next post I shall discuss the deductive models.
>
>     For humans, the mental models are psychological representations of real,
> hypothetical, or imaginary situations.
>     The mental model theory was established by Philip Johnson-Laird in
> [Johnson-Laird, 1983] and has proven extremely powerful in predicting and
> explaining higher-level cognition in humans [MMRW, 2018].
>
>     For other types of Infoses, the mental models correspond to the level of
> consciousness organization, for instance art is a kind of “social mental
> model”.
>
>     In 1896, the American philosopher Charles Sanders Peirce had postulated
> that reasoning is a process by which a human: “examines the state of things
> asserted in the premises, forms a diagram of that state of things, perceives
> in the parts of the diagram relations not explicitly mentioned in the
> premises, satisfies itself by mental experiments upon the diagram that these
> relations would always subsist, or at least would do so in a certain
> proportion of cases, and concludes their necessary, or probable, truth.”
> [Peirce, 1896].
>
>     In Wittgenstein’s “picture” theory of the meaning of language, mental
> models have a structure that corresponds to the structure of what they
> represent [Wittgenstein, 1922]. They are accordingly akin to architects’
> models of buildings, to molecular biologists’ models of complex molecules,
> and to physicists’ diagrams of particle interactions.
>
>     In 1943, the Scottish psychologist Kenneth Craik had proposed a similar
> [...]

Arturo Tozzi

AA Professor Physics, University North Texas

Pediatrician ASL Na2Nord, Italy

Comput Intell Lab, University Manitoba

http://arturotozzi.webnode.it/