On 3/5/07, Myrddin Emrys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I dunno. The fact that it displayed the text, and re-displayed the command
> line, is a pretty blunt stick indicating that there was no match. In
> particular, you'll see the list of matching files for the new match
> listed... if that doesn't send up warning signals (assuming they're not what
> you wanted to delete), it's hard to imagine what would.

That's my feeling too.  If completion behavior is consistent, then it
is predictable and so users will easily habituate to reacting to a
non-completion correctly.

> On 3/5/07, Martin Baehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 11:59:08AM -0600, Myrddin Emrys wrote:
> > > linux> rm ab*<tab>
> > > Ab*     Absolute.txt, Abstract.txt, Abrasive.txt...
> > > linux> rm Ab*
> >
> > this is exactly what i am afraid of, because if i do not notice that the
> > case chsnged and my intention is to remove only ab* but NOT A* then this
> > is dangerous. same with any situation where i'd overwrite a file.

Maybe it would be useful to somehow indicate that the command has been
changed by a completion.  That way you do not have to watch the whole
string, looking for the a one-character change.