Philip Ganchev wrote:
> Maybe
> something like this would work:
>
> dmenu_path | dmenu > dmenu_file
> . dmenu_file
>
> And what is wrong with using "eval $var" here??
>
> set var (dmenu_path | dmenu); eval $var

Those both evaluate the value of "var" (and any arguments, if you were
passing any arguments to $var) more than you want.  For example, if the
executable returned was named /x/y/z/023$ADC then it would erroneously
substitute the value of "ADC" even though the "$" was supposed to be
part of the path name.  We really don't want any of those
macro-language-type features for this purpose, we just want the effect
of "env $var" without the unnecessariness of it (IMHO).

-Isaac