Hi James,

Awesome! That's quite elaborate, and I think most of that is very
useful. Thanks for all the work!

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 5:33 PM, James Bowlin <bow...@mindspring.com> wrote:
[...]
> NOTES:
[...]
> I used an ugly kludge to print out a list of all the browsers we
> looked for.  I create a temporary directory and touch a file with
> the name of each browser and then do an ls.  This allows me to
> take advantage of the formatting ls provides instead of just
> printing a long string that gets wrapped at the right edge of the
> terminal.  This code only runs when we can't find a browser which
> should be a rare occurrence.

Why not use the "column" command?

[...]
> The --text and --no-browser flags are to aid testing, although I
> find the --text flag to be very handy.  You can always display
> in text mode by setting $BROWSER to a known text browser.
>
> I realize I may have gone way overboard with the --verbose and
> --shutup flags.  These two flags erase and set the global
> $fish_quiet_help variable.  The default, of course, is verbose mode.
> I did not KISS.  One compromise would be to only allow the complete
> --shutup and --verbose and no abbreviations.  Then don't mention
> them in the simple "help -h".

Personally, I think the "--verbose", "--quiet" and "--shutup" options
and the "fish_quiet_help" environment variable add unnecessary
complexity. Fish aims to do the right thing without user intervention,
and aims for functionality through orthogonality and minimal
configurability. See http://fishshell.org/user_doc/design.html  Now, I
know that we want to lower the bar as much as possible, especially for
the "help" command. But adding these options does not do that.  I
think it's fine to show an info message every time the user asks for
help. Maybe I'm missing some important use cases?

The delay is an interesting idea. If we find it's annoying, maybe a
better solution is to have a static help page that has the message
"could not find a topic" at the top? And the help page would be
auto-generated with the usual index page.