Ok, thanks for your help.  I think I've gotten to the bottom of most if
not all of the troubles.

How I fixed the issues:
   * First, I copied my customized vars from fishd.host to config.fish,
fixed the syntax, then saved.
   * set -U seems to be the correct invocation for such a setting.
   * set -Ux for environment vars to share with binaries.
   * Then I deleted from fishd with set -e just to be sure. Probably not
necessary.

Also, there were a few places where /home/user was hard coded, so I
changed them to ~ in the config.fish.  (I have a different user name on
the other machine unfortunately.)  Don't believe I set them that way
initially, but it could be my fault.  My function search path had the
issue, so it is why it couldn't find my key binding function, which
hosed everything.

Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if I've done things correctly.
  This is where a document on the subject could be helpful to newbies.
What files to edit, what order they are processed, why, what switches
for set, etc, etc.

If interested, I've managed to get mercurial (version control) to handle
my config files, including fish.  Now when I create a new VM or system I
can get my complex setup configured with just a few commands.

-Mike