I remember having issues like this a long time ago, but I thought I had
fixed them.  Sadly, I forgot what the fix was.

Suddenly, scp and rsync have stopped working for me:

dfrascone@daves-mbp ~/Downloads> scp com.backup42.desktop.jar
codemon...@somehost.net:
TERM environment variable not set.
TERM environment variable not set.
^CKilled by signal 2.
dfrascone@daves-mbp ~/Downloads>

Any ideas what changed?  This used to work fine.  Both hosts are running
fish as the default shell.  And, TERM is set to xterm-color on both hosts.
 At least, after a ssh, the remote term is still xterm-color.

I've tried doing a 'set TERM xterm', but it doesn't seem to help.

-Dave