Fish user Pedro (pedro...nior [at] gmail.com) found a solution. You need to
put the following function on your *~/.config/fish/config.fish *file:

*function* matlab
    *set* old_shell $SHELL
    *set* SHELL /bin/bash
    *command* matlab &
    *set* SHELL $old_shell
*end*

This function sets the default shell as bash before calling matlab. After
it is invoked, the function places fish as the default shell again.

[]'s
Victor Hugo