On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 08:24:55AM +0100, Jon Clayden wrote:
> Surely it would be possible, however, for the shell to ignore the
> ellipsis/newline sequence, at the very least? Rewriting the command to
> remove it would be better still, but perhaps that's more tricky.

Possible, but hardly desirable.  In general, programming a shell to
second-guess user input is not a good practice.  Suppose I wanted to
enter an ellipsis character followed by a newline in some script I was
writing on the command line; with a change as you describe, this is no
longer possible.

pants.