It could be something related to a terminal setting instead of fish proper.
Did you reboot your system after your update? (just to make sure any
virtual terminals are in a proper state, and to ensure the fishd instance
is of the same version as the fish shell)

Try running your fish's output through hexdump:
> fish -c 'echo åäö'
åäö
> fish -c 'echo åäö' | hd
00000000  c3 a5 c3 a4 c3 b6 0a                              |.......|
00000007

If that gives different output on your system something is probably going
on either with the encoding/locale your fish uses or the encoding your
terminal uses.

Jan