Hello Laurence,

How does the shell incorporate the environment variables output by the module?
Do the modules output shell script that is then executed, or something else?

For environment variables that are classically arrays, like PATH, fish stores
them internally as a list, but imports and exports them as strings delimited by
colons, for compatibility. I think it would be unwise to "leak" fish's syntax
into other commands by changing env output to be compatible with fish.