Hi Bert,

There's no magic function here - it is old-fashioned ANSI escapes. In essence:

- Output the text that's been typed
- Output the escape code to make the text gray
- Output the suggestion
- Use cursor motion escapes to move the cursor back to the end of the text

fish's implementation of this stuff is in reader.cpp

Hope that helps,
_fish