This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Please forgive me for using this forum for a non-Fjord issue, but I
  believe this is something which could affect the future of this
  List, others like it you may receive and enjoy, and the very future
  of email in general. I have in the past, warned subscribers who use
  AOL and Hotmail to receive their FjordHorse List that they may be
  missing many messages or Digests because of their Service Providers
  arbitrary practices of SPAM identification. Up until now I have been
  willing to give them the benefit of doubt, chalking the disappearing
  email up to bugs in new filtering software. However, now AOL is
  proposing to profit by making the practice official. They will pass
  advertising from large bulk emailers, who pay for the privilege,
  right past their SPAM filters and into your inbox, while email from
  your friends, family and the FjordHorse List will arrive with a less
  preferential status. Even if you are not an AOL user, please read
  the message attached below and respond to the petition if you want
  to help prevent this inequity.

 --
Steve McIlree - Pferd, Skipper & Clust - Omaha, NE/Las Cruces, NM, USA
 If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise. --Unknown

===========================Received Today=============================

The very existence of online civic participation and the free Internet
as we know it are under attack by America Online.

AOL recently announced what amounts to an "email tax." Under this
pay-to-send system, large emailers willing to pay an "email tax" can
bypass spam filters and get guaranteed access to people's inboxes—with
their messages having a preferential high-priority designation.1

Charities, small businesses, civic organizing groups, and even
families with mailing lists will inevitably be left with inferior
Internet service unless they are willing to pay the "email tax" to
AOL. We need to stop AOL immediately so other email hosts know that
following AOL's lead would be a mistake.

Can you sign this emergency petition to America Online and forward it
to your friends?

Sign here:
http://civic.moveon.org/emailtax/

Petition statement: "AOL, don't auction off preferential access to
people's inboxes to giant emailers, while leaving people's friends,
families, and favorite causes wondering if their emails are being
delivered at all. The Internet is a force for democracy and economic
innovation only because it is open to all Internet users equally—we
must not let it become an unlevel playing field."

Sign here:
http://civic.moveon.org/emailtax/

AOL is one of the biggest email hosts in the world—if we stop them
from unleashing this threat to the Internet, others will know not to
try it. Everyone who signs this petition will be sent information on
how to contact AOL directly, as well as future steps that can be taken
until AOL drops its new "email tax" policy.

AOL's proposed pay-to-send system is the first step down the slippery
slope toward dividing the Internet into two classes of users—those who
get preferential treatment and those who are left behind.

AOL pretends nothing would change for senders who don't pay, but
that's not reality. The moment AOL switches to a world where giant
emailers pay for preferential treatment, AOL faces this internal
choice: spend money to keep spam filters up-to-date so legitimate
email isn't identified as spam, or make money by neglecting their spam
filters and pushing more senders to pay for guaranteed delivery. Which
do you think they'll choose?

If AOL has its way, the big loser will be regular email users—whose
email from friends, family, and favorite causes will increasingly go
undelivered and disappear into the black hole of a neglected spam
filter. Another loser will be democracy and economic innovation on the
Internet—where small ideas become big ideas specifically because
regular people can spread ideas freely on a level playing field.

If an "email tax" existed when MoveOn began, we never would have
gotten off the ground—indeed, AOL's proposal will hurt every
membership group, regardless of political affiliation. That's why
groups all across the political spectrum are joining together with
charities, non-profits, small businesses, labor unions, and Internet
watchdog groups in opposition to AOL's "email tax."

The president of the Association for Cancer Online Resources (ACOR)
points out the real-world urgency of this issue:

"In essence, this is going to block every AOL subscriber suffering from
any form of cancer from receiving potentially life-saving information
they may not be able to get from any other source, simply because a
non-profit like ACOR—which serves more than 55,000 cancer patients and
caregivers every day—cannot afford to pay the fee."

Can you sign this emergency petition to America Online and forward it
to your friends? http://civic.moveon.org/emailtax/

Thank you for all you do.

–Eli Pariser, Noah T. Winer, Adam Green, and the MoveOn.org Civic
Action team
  Wednesday, February 22nd, 2006

P.S. The Electronic Frontier Foundation summed up the "email tax"
issue beautifully:

Email being basically free isn't a bug. It's a feature that has driven
the digital revolution. It allows groups to scale up from a dozen
friends to a hundred people who love knitting to half-a-million
concerned citizens without a major bankroll.

Once a pay-to-speak system like this gets going, it will be increasing
difficult for people who don't pay to get their mail through. The
system has no way to distinguish between ordinary mail and bulk mail,
spam and non-spam, personal and commercial mail. It just gives
preference to people who pay.