This message is from: Genie Dethloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
.... It was the
Isabel Werth model, and I found the seat put me in a wierd position as
well and I sold it immediately.

...I am about to try out a Laser adj tree saddle. It is reputed to fit wide
backed horses well, so I am gonna give it a go as it will be nice to have
a saddle I can use on my WB as well as the fjords. Currently I have a
Hubertus 36 cm all purpose/dressage model that fits the fjords
wonderfully and is a joy to sit in but sits too low on the WB w/ his
higher withers.

Hi Karen,

The Wintec Isabell puts one in a much more restricted position than the Pro Dressage as it has a deeper seat and the front of the flaps are further back. If one wants a saddle to "assist" you in getting in the "proper" dressage position, it is good. I found that it cranked my lower back in an uncomfortable position, gave me no room to move in the saddle and forced my legs much straighter with a longer stirrup than I like. The Pro Dressage is more classical with a flatter seat with more forward flap and knee rolls and room to move around in the seat. I actually ride in it with the knee rolls removed. I was the one with the reservation about the gullet channel width and the wider twist, but I still ride in it and enjoy it (the price was right!).

I took the most advanced Laser (read expensive) CM Ultimate dressage saddle on trial. I loved riding in it, but what I didn't like was the lack of tree points. Instead of gradually dispersing the pressure across a long area, the points ended abruptly and I didn't feel that it was as stable on a wide Fjord as other dressage saddles I had tried, and felt the short ends of the tree points might dig in. The half panels are nice as they get you closer to the horse. If I were trying them again, I might try the 747 which has a normal tree with points, I think. The Prolite panels made very nice contact with my fjords back. The saddle really did let my legs hang in the correct position.

It also takes a lot of turns to make a significant change in tree size and there is no way to easily reproduce your width setting from time to time, thus it would not be easy to use regularly on two horses that take different size trees. As you widen the tree, it has less wither clearance also (just like going to the wider plates in the Wintec).
--
Genie Dethloff
Ann Arbor, Michigan