This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Sent: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:13:54 EST
Subject: Hoof Boots

 This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've recently removed Joe's shoes, and we are having a difficult transition period. I've talked to a couple of people from this list, but thought I'd go to a wider audience for their experiences with hoof boots. Here's where
we're at now:

*** Hi Kate-

In the struggle to find the best boot, one understands why folks did the iron shoe thing in the first place! Just stick 'em on and you're good to go for 6 weeks...

My horses have been barefoot for years, and I have learned that the environment is the most important ingredient for barefoot soundness. When my horses live in clean, dry conditions and are ridden/exercised frequently, they are "sound as a pound" on just about any surface. If they have to stand in mud or urine, or if I take them from a soft pasture to ride on a sharp rocky road, the results are not so great. Don't despair, as it takes a year for a whole new hoof to grow out in a stronger form.

I have decided that special hoof trims have little effect. I have studied different styles of trimming, from Strasser-type to your basic farrier pasture trim, and have found that, in the end, the environment will determine the soundness. Of course you need someone with a basic level of competancy who understands the shape of the natural hoof and doesn't remove too much horn or leave too much heel, etc., but beyond that it's up for grabs.

I've settled on the Old Mac boots and am pretty happy with them. They are not perfect, but they are easy to put on and they do the job. Now I only have to use them as needed.

Brigid