To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:27 PM
Subject: Evaluated Fjords worth more money

This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm responding to Ruthie's post which is too long to copy in this message.

I think the monetary value of a Fjord which has been evaluated versus one
which has been evaluated is largely determined by the buyer. I think certain breeders and buyers do put a premium on an evaluated horse. I also know that most buyers don't care. I have never had a problem selling my young stock, all of which have not been evaluated. I'm happy with my sales prices, too. I do point out the sire and dam's evaluation results, but it never seems to make a
difference in the sale.

That being said, I have had all my breeding mares evaluated and the stallion is going this summer now that he is 5. And yes, I have a long trailer ride, it will cost plenty of money and it is in the middle of my busiest season on the farm. In fact, I'll be hosting the second annual Virginia Fjord Festival at the farm two weeks later. I happen to give an evaluation priority because
as a breeder, I appreciate the opportunity for an education.  Breeding a
quality horse is not as simple as putting two blue ribbon evaluated horses together.
Breeding requires an understanding of the standard and how you can improve
your stock against that standard. Even with the best laid plans, Mother Nature
has a way of pulling us humans up short.

My objection to the idea of DVD evaluations is pretty simple. No reputable horse breed registry of any type does it. Now why is that? I'm not saying it
could never be done, but I think the idea is fraught with problems.  I do
agree, BTW, that we should have more evaluations at more locations every year. I'd think that the more education that is available, the better it is for the
breed.

Margaret A. Bogie
Ironwood Farm
Rixeyville, VA
http://www.ironwood-farm.com

***Fjords for Sale: 2002 Brown Dun mare, 2003 Gray and Brown Dun geldings,
2005 Red Dun Colt.  All unevaluated, too!***