This message is from: "Olivia Farm, Inc." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello from Olivia Farm,

  On a virtual evaluation note - the idea of having an instructional video
(like live clinics) is great.  I think we should have one even if we don't
implement virtual evaluations - for people that can't attend the clinics or
need more time to study and prepare than one day.  The American Warmblood
Society has such a video for inspection participants, but having seen it - I
would hope we could do an even better job.

  I also think we should not give up live evaluations entirely, but use both
methods to get more participants.  The other thing we shouldn't abandon is the
triangle - it shows correctness of travel (coming and going) better than free
longing - but the free longing is most useful for athleticism, quality, freedom
of movement, etc.

  As for foal inspections, the idea is sound.  Once again, I have concerns.  I
have mare that was evaluated as a yearling and scored a yellow ribbon -
technically not breeding quality.  She went on to score a very solid blue as a
4 year old.  I have another mare, that with better feed, more muscling, more
time under saddle gained almost 10 points (I didn't own either of these mares
at the time of their evaluations).  I know that the evaluator or judge can only
evaluate what they see that day - but that isn't' helpful when what you see is
a really unbalanced and silly looking yearling.  Do we have to change the
system to allow for growth?  Have different standards for young-stock?
Evaluate our babies before they hit the "ugly" stage?  I'm open to suggestions.

  Shall I open up a new discussion topic?  What about judging temperament, like
they do in Norway?  Isn't that just as important?

  Again, more food for thought!  Enjoying the discussion!

  Solveig Watanabe
  Olivia Farm
  www.oliviafarm.com