This message is from: "Steve Sessoms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Was Re: The Evaluation Book on NFHR website

Carol, I don't disagree with you very often, but of what use is the Warmblood's
high-end dressage gaits to the Fjordhorse breed?  When I see those huge horses I
think, "How lovely but how unnatural" and I think of it as a human made thing as
exaggerated as the Hackney action but in a different direction.  So I think we
could get in terrible trouble trying to fit our fuzzy ponies into the Warmblood
mold!

I think the Fjord's trot at it's finest is powerful, smooth and natural (a gait
that would contribute to the survival of a horse in the wild).  I take the part
about the trot having speed to mean the Fjord should not have a lazy, slow trot,
and historically, real trotting speed would be a bonus quite in keeping with the
traditional Fjordhorse use as a racing trotting horse and a horse people rode or
drove to get from point A to point B in incredible cold!!!!

I do understand the reference to comfort, I do not enjoy riding a rough or
bouncy horse at a trot no matter how sweet, fun and stable his personality is.
And the Fjordies main claim to fame is a fun, hard working, reasonably sized,
cute horse who is an absolute joy to own and ride.

I think the attention given to gaits at this point in the history of
American-bred Fjordies is not a bad thing.  I myself haven't seen any that
crossed the line into 'exaggerated' and I have bred my middle mare to a horse
who is a fabulous dressage Fjord.  Nice movement is good and puts our ponies
into a desirable niche of beautiful large ponies in dressage and driven
dressage.   But I don't think we should necessarily seek the exaggerated action
of the large Warmblood who competes in upper-level dressage, that would be as
strange to the breed as Hackney action or Quarter Horse sprinting speed!

I have never heard these ideas expressed before, they are just my own
observations and I am no expert . but I do think one can go too far trying to
copy elite dressage movement.  Now just your regular horse competing and winning
ribbons in dressage is simply a nice moving horse and we should certainly seek
that in our Fjordhorses!  I hope I made myself clear and would love to hear more
input on this subject since I think the Fjordies gaits are as important as their
cute little ears but more elusive!

/em ducks!

Meredith Sessoms
Moulton, Alabama