This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Barbara Sollner-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> be sure to clip only a dust/dirt-free horse, though, or the blades
> wear out real fast.  since washing a fuzzy guy, and keeping him from
> rolling until dry, is pretty much of a fairy-tale, i recommend
> getting one of those cheapie dust-beater hand-held vacuums
> [...with...] a rotating brush, that you can run upward, beating
> against the grain of the fur, and even the deep dirt beats out very
> easily.

I've got one of the small horse-vac's, and I find it to be relatively
useless on my winter-hairy donkey or Fjords.  I've had better luck
brushing them a little to break up the mud clods, then taking a small
shop vac, putting the hose into the exhaust port, and "blow-dusting"
my equines.  It works best in an area with a slight breeze---position
the animal with its head up-wind, and nothing behind it that has to
stay clean.  Start at the head (being very careful not to blow dirt
into eyes or ears), and "flick" the airstream back and forth across
the animal's coat, small sections at a time.  It's amazing how quickly
and thoroughly the dirt goes flying away!  My donkey hates being
brushed or vacuumed (causes a lot of static electricity in her coat),
but seems to enjoy being blow-dusted.  The vac's exhaust stream is
usually somewhat warm, which apparently feels good on a cold day.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon