This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am recovering from a broken leg and torn ACL, and although I am now up and
around with a cane, it will be a while before I am riding again.  So, since I
have been assured Joe has had training and experience in driving, my barn
manager has been very eager to hitch him up (barn owner is very experienced has
trained, ridden and driven "regular" horses for 50 years).

Last week we hitched up Joe for the first time, and he seemed to do well.  Had
some issues with turning, but the driver was extremely pleased with their first
effort.  Today we hitched him up again and I went out for the first time (as a
passenger).  I was just feeling terrified most of the time.  He did so well
when actually driving, steady and smooth, had no issues with cars that came up
the little road, or with changes in the road itself.  But while we were working
him in the flat pasture and I asked the driver to stop him, things went sour.
Joe stopped and then immediately tried to move out again, and when stopped
again, started backing and then kind of tossing himself from side to side.  The
driver had me bail out (pretty funny in retrospect since I am mostly on one
leg), and then he bailed (quite impressively since he hopped out, holding the
reins and calming Joe down all at the same time).  I refused to get back into
the cart because I was terrified!!  Drove him for !
 another 20 minutes, the same thing happened about every third time he was
asked to stop.  I have to believe there is something bothering him in the
harness, but we could find nothing.  He seems to toss his head strongly to the
left when this is going on.  I am concerned that my stout, steady pony wanted
to pick up a trot on his own volition and that it takes longer to get him
slowed than it does when riding.  Overall, I hated it - and am just shocked!!

The driver has nothing but praise for Joe, and complete confidence that this is
merely a case of his being rusty and needing to find the right adjustment for
the harness.  I am convinced driving is probably the most dangerous activity
you can do with a horse.  Is this a common first experience?  (and also, I am
going to suggest that we do the rest of our driving inside a fenced pasture,
because the thought of Joe getting so disturbed that he bolts into traffic
somehow and gets hurt is way more terrifying than the idea of my getting hurt!!

Kate and Joe (who is trying to be the best pony ever....)