This message is from: "Ruth Bushnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message is from: "Lois Berenyi"
... From my own perspective it appears that the white and yellow duns probably "wear" long hair better than dark .....<>.... Of course some of the Fjords could have naturally thinner or thicker necks regardless of mane length but it's possible the length of the mane could
create an illusion one way or the other....Lois

GOOD POINT Lois... maybe weak necklines on FJ's could be camouflaged with long hair, buyer beware!

Maybe the roached mane is an acquired preference, given time and enough exposure to Fjords? I don't recall that I once-upon-a-time even liked a roached mane! (BF--before Fjords) But now I get itchy scissor fingers if I see a long one, hah ...and, a Fjord is not a Fjord without that roached mane!

I would imagine that an acceptably grown out mane would have largely to do with the WIDTH of the mane... some Fjords have much thinner manes, that might hang quite well, but many have EXTRA-EXTRA wide manes that are a bear to trim and I imagine they would look too full and unruly if they were long.

This mane WIDTH thing might also have a lot to do with whether or not the mane pulls the neck muscles over when long ...as I have seen instances where a long mane can pull the dorsal pattern into undulation, quite visible when retrimmed.

Another consideration in a long mane might be how it was regarded at show. The NFHR Judge's Rule Book states under conformation; "the mane is cut short and stands erect, trimmed in a crescent shape along the curve of the neck." and again under grooming presentation; "mane: upright, clipped even or with 1/4" to 1/2" of black stripe standing above the white crest.

Ruthie, nw mt US ...where it's raining! sighhhhhhh.