From: Ruth Bushnell
Date: 09/27/05 10:22:50
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: Re: Linebreeding and inbreeding

This message is from: "Ruth Bushnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I find this whole topic sort of confusing. As a long time dog breeder
> ....> find that horse and dog people seem to use the terms line breeding,
> inbreeding... differently. In general I agree with your use of
> terminology, > Vanessa

The two terms are confusing, 'linebreeding and inbreeding,' and commonly
interchanged ...it is difficult to find a single substantial definition for
either (technically or historically) ..probably because each term can
sometimes fit within the boundary of the other ...within inbreeding there
has been linebreeding, and within linebreeding there occurs inbreeding. Both
terms are of a familial nature.

One of many renditions that makes sense to me is that 'linebreeding' is a
strategical mating choice, usually based on pedigrees, with the deliberate
intention of concentrating the inheritance of some specific ancestor. While
'inbreeding' is the general natural result of a limited purebred gene pool.
(intentional and unintentional)

A more correct term for closely bred animals (siblings, parents) is termed
just that, "closebreeding."

As for 'outcrossing,' you mentioned, the Fjord Registry forbids it and will
yank ALL registry paperwork from any breeder or person that does. This list
has been instructed not to discuss the benefit or detriment of
'outcrossing.'

Ruthie, nw mt US