This message is from: "Lisa Wiley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Carol,

Thank you for answering my question. I can understand the feelings on inbreeding but linebreeding is going back to related ancestors. I would not think there are enough Fjords to totally outcross everytime. Linebreeding is also a valuable tool in finding out what the strengths and weaknesses may be. Since it concentrates the genes some. It is not something that can be used without studying pedigrees and knowing the lineage.

You can get the same problems by outcrossing. I would not think the gene pool in this breed is large enough to have the diversity you would need to avoid genetic problems.

As far as dogs go. Putting puppies down is not a viable option. We see more genetic defects from those who do not linebreed and do not understand the pedigrees. The key is knowing what is behind your dog. Sometimes the knowing can be the most valuable tool. By outcrossing every time you do not know what your dog carries.

Lisa Wiley
Turnabout Portuguese Water Dogs
Connecticut State Director Ponies With Purpose
Corresponding Secretary FASTeam
http://www.myturnabout.com